What is a U-Pass?
The Universal Transit Pass (U-Pass) is one of the many great services offered by the UTMSU – it allows students unlimited fare-free rides on all City of Mississauga’s transit buses, MiWay. All you need to do is present your U-Pass card and T-Card (UofT student ID) while boarding one of the MiWay buses and you will be able to ride fare free – all year long – as many times as you need to!
Your U-Pass is a transit card that you can pick up from the UTM Student Center during U-Pass distribution periods and throughout the year at the infoBooth Desk.
- Fall/Winter U-Pass is active September 1 through April 30
- Summer U-Pass is active May 1 through August 31
A U-Pass is only available and valid in a term for which a student has been charged a U-Pass fee. For example, a student taking only fall term courses may receive and use a U-Pass in the fall term only.
All UTM undergraduate and Mississauga Academy of Medicine (MAM) undergraduate students are eligible to collect a Universal Transit Pass (U-Pass). Associated fees are mandatory and automatically charged to each eligible student’s Acorn account. U-Pass distribution periods are coordinated by UTMSU annually and pick-up locations are set-up in the UTM Student Centre.
Each full-time/part-time undergraduate and graduate student is eligible for a U-Pass if they meet the following criteria:
- You must be enrolled in courses during respective distribution periods as either an undergraduate, MAM, or graduate student. Please note, graduate students enrolled in the MMPA and MFAC programs are not eligible to pick-up a U-Pass. Your academic invoice will reflect the associated fees for this pass. For example, only students enrolled in summer courses are eligible to pick-up a Summer U-Pass.
- You must have successfully paid/deferred the minimum payment on your ACORN account, 3 business days prior to pick-up. Students will appear ineligible in the U-Pass system if they try to collect before payment has been processed through ACORN.
- You have not made any changes to your ACORN account, 3 business days prior to pick-up. This means you have not added/removed courses or been taken off a waitlist.
- Must have a valid T-Card present upon pick-up! U-Passes will not be accepted by MiWay unless accompanied by a T-Card.
Eligibility can be self-checked through the following portal: https://uoft.service-now.com/utm_upass. Fall eligibility will be updated on August 31, 2022.
How to collect your U-Pass?
The UTMSU is pleased to announce that students will be able to pick up their U-Pass for the upcoming academic year, Fall 2022 & Winter 2023, from the UTM Student Center starting August 31, 2022.
Step 1: Check your eligibility for receiving a U-Pass through our newly created eligibility checker. This checker will require you to input your UTORId and respective password. The eligibility checker will inform you whether you qualify to pick-up a U-Pass or not.
Step 2: If eligible, please visit the UTM Student Centre during our mass distribution times. You must have your physical T-Card present in order to receive a U-Pass.
August 31, September 1 & 2 from 10 AM – 6 PM
September 3 from 9 AM – 2 PM
September 4 from 11 AM – 4 PM
September 5 CLOSED
September 6, 7, 8 & 9 from 10 AM – 6 PM
September 10 & 11 CLOSED
September 12, 13, 14, 15 & 16 from 10 AM – 6 PM
Starting on September 19, students can pick up their U-Pass from the infoBooth during operating hours. Monday – Friday from 10 AM – 6 PM
U-Pass Policy & Replacements:
Altering, forging, transferring, selling, or sharing a U-Pass card is prohibited, and abuse of the U-Pass is taken seriously by Mississauga Transit Enforcement, UTM, UTMSU and UTMAGS. Abuse can result in significant fines/charges against abusers and prohibition from further participation in the U-Pass program.
If you lose your U-Pass, you are eligible to purchase a one-time U-Pass replacement. The replacement of a U-Pass costs $130 and purchasing of this replacement is only allowed once throughout the academic year. If you lose your replacement pass you cannot purchase another one.
Fall/Winter U-Pass replacements will begin on September 26, 2022 at the infoBooth Desk:
- Monday – Thursday: 11 AM – 4 PM
- Friday – Sunday: NOT AVAILABLE
For more information, please contact email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
- If I picked up a U-Pass in the Fall Semester, do I need to pick up another one in January? No, the U-Pass from the Fall semester is the same as the Winter semester. Your Fall/Winter U-Pass is valid between September 1- April 30, annually.
- When will my Fall/Winter U-Pass expire? Whether you picked up your U-Pass in the fall or are picking it up this winter semester, your U-Pass will expire after April 30.
- How long is my Summer U-Pass valid for? U-Passes distributed in the summer terms are valid between May 1 – August 31, annually. Summer U-Passes cannot be used during the Fall/Winter semester (September 1-April 30).
- I am not enrolled in courses; can I purchase a U-Pass? No, U-Passes cannot be sold to individuals not enrolled in UTM affiliated courses. If you are interested in purchasing a discounted MiWay transit pass please visit this website: https://www.mississauga.ca/miway-transit/fares/affordable-transit-program/.