What is a U-Pass?
The Universal Transit Pass (U-Pass) is one of the many great services offered by the UTMSU – it allows students unlimited fare-free rides on all City of Mississauga’s transit busses, MiWay. All you need to do is present your U-Pass card and T-card (UofT student ID) while boarding one of the MiWay busses and you will be able to ride for free – all year long – as many times as you need to!
Your U-Pass is a transit card that you can pick up from the UTM Student Center during U-Pass distribution periods and throughout the year at the infoBooth Desk.
- Fall/Winter U-Pass is active September 1 through April 30
- Summer U-Pass is active May 1 through August 31.
A U-Pass is only available and valid in a term for which a student has been charged a U-Pass fee. For example, a student taking only fall-term courses may receive and use a U-Pass in the fall term only.
All UTM undergraduate and Mississauga Academy of Medicine (MAM) undergraduate students are eligible to collect a Universal Transit Pass (U-Pass). Associated fees are mandatory and automatically charged to each eligible student’s ACORN account. U-Pass distribution periods are coordinated by UTMSU annually and pick-up locations are set-up in the UTM Student Centre.
Each full-time/part-time undergraduate and graduate student is eligible for a U-Pass if they meet the following criteria:
- You must be enrolled in courses during respective distribution periods. Your academic invoice will reflect the associated fees for this pass. For example, only student enrolled in summer courses are eligible to pick-up a U-Pass.
- All fees on your financial account must be paid or deferred before collecting a U-Pass. It takes 2-3 business days for payment to reflect on the U-Pass distribution site. Please check eligibility here before visiting the Student Centre:
- Ensure that no changes, such as adding/dropping a course and getting off a waitlist, have been made to your ACORN account for more than 72 hours before picking up your U-Pass.
- Have a physical T-Card
How to collect your U-Pass?
The UTMSU is pleased to announce that students will be able to pick up their U-Pass for the upcoming academic semester, Summer 2022, from the UTM Student Center starting on April 29, 2022.
Step 1: Check your eligibility for receiving a U-Pass through our newly created eligibility checker. This checker will require you to input your UTORId and respective password. The eligibility checker will inform you whether you qualify to pick-up a U-Pass or not.
Step 2: If eligible, please visit the UTM Student Centre during our hours of operation, Monday – Friday 11AM – 3PM. You must have your physical T-Card present in order to receive a U-Pass.
U-Pass Policy & Replacements:
Altering, forging, transferring, selling, or sharing a U-Pass card is prohibited, and abuse of the U-Pass is taken seriously by Mississauga Transit Enforcement, UTM, UTMSU and UTMAGS. Abuse can result in significant fines/charges against abusers and prohibition from further participation in the U-Pass program.
In case you lose your U-Pass, you are eligible to receive a one-time U-Pass replacement.
- Summer U-Pass replacements will begin on May 23, 2022. The replacement of a U-Pass costs $75.
For more information, please contact email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
- If I picked up a U-Pass in the Fall Semester, do I need to pick up another one in January? No, the U-Pass from the Fall semester is the same as the Winter semester. Your Fall/Winter U-Pass is valid between September 1- April 30, annually.
- When will my Fall/Winter U-Pass expire? Whether you picked up your U-Pass in the fall or are picking it up this winter semester, your U-Pass will expire after April 30.
- How long is my Summer U-Pass valid for? U-Passes distributed in the summer terms are valid between May 1 – August 31, annually. Summer U-Passes cannot be used during the Fall/Winter semester (September 1-April 30).
- I am not enrolled in courses; can I purchase a U-Pass? No, U-Passes cannot be sold to individuals not enrolled in UTM affiliated courses. If you are interested in purchasing a discounted MiWay transit pass please visit this website: https://www.mississauga.ca/miway-transit/fares/affordable-transit-program/.